Sunday, January 13, 2019

A Quick Introduction

Hello! My name is Courtney Eaton and this is my first blog post. I've toyed around with the idea of blogging several times in the past, but it's something that's never quite made it past the "idea stage" for me. That little nay-saying voice in my head never fails to scare me back into my shell anytime I dare try and come out of it, posing questions like "Why do you think people want to hear what you have to say?" or "What do you actually think you have to contribute?". When I think about the times that I've been too afraid to follow through with something that might "put me out there" so to speak, I think about my students. I want my students to feel like they can come into my classroom each day and share their thoughts and try new things without letting the fear of failure get in their way. I want that for them more than anything, but.... why don't I want the same for myself? Why am I afraid to let myself be heard? After pondering these questions for a while, I've decided that I think it's time that I start practicing what I preach. So, I'm carving out this little corner of the Internet to do just that. 

I'll start with a quick introduction. I'm Courtney and I am currently in my second year teaching middle school RLA in my hometown in Tennessee. I graduated from Middle Tennessee State University with my Bachelors in May of 2017, and began my teaching journey that August. I cannot pinpoint the exact moment that I knew I wanted to be a teacher. As the oldest of three children in my family, I've always had two live-in students. Perhaps that had an influence? :) Regardless of its origin, teaching has just always been a part of me. Something I do know to be true, however, is the impact that a few of my very own middle school teachers, some of whom I now call colleagues, had on me along the way. I think their influence in my life during the trying middle school years is what ultimately brought me back to Westwood Middle School. This school has always had a piece of my heart and I consider the opportunity to be back here teaching to be one of my biggest blessings. Outside of being a teacher, I'm a daughter, sister, friend, reader, and avid supporter of the Nashville Predators.

We all lead beautifully different lives, and with that comes beautifully different experiences and perspectives. I want this to be a space where I can share mine. Here you'll find the real thoughts, experiences, and perspective of a teacher who is still figuring things out. I want to share what works for me (and what doesn't) along with the reality of the challenges and triumphs that come with being a teacher. More than anything, this is me acknowledging my voice and allowing myself to be heard. If you're here, I thank you and hope you'll join me on this journey.

Wishing you the best,
Courtney

Sidenote: The title of this blog, Eaton Books for Breakfast, comes from a combination of my last name and a couple things that I love. As a Reading teacher, I have an immense love of books and reading. (Can you imagine if I didn't?) I also just love a good pun. When your last name sounds like a verb when spoken aloud in the South, you've gotta take advantage, right? The breakfast part wasn't really intentional, but I am a breakfast and coffee person, so it just works. We'll see if the title sticks! :)

2 comments:

  1. Nice job, Courtney! I would like to follow you, but I don't see a follow button. I'd like to invite you to follow my blog (THE LITERARY LYONESSE) at exlibreleo.wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that didn't work! Lol. Courtney, I am so proud of you! I am so proud to have been one of your teachers, and now we're colleagues! I hope to now learn from you! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete