Friday, February 22, 2019

I guess it really is true what they say about comfort zones.

“Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” Neale Donald Walsch
If you had told me a few years ago that as a second year teacher I'd stand before other educators and talk to them about ways to foster meaningful connections in the online education community, or ANYTHING really, I probably would have laughed. 

Scratch that, I undoubtedly would have laughed, turned around to see if you were talking to someone behind me, and probably asked you if you were feeling okay.

In a society that is always encouraging us to be more outspoken, social, and opinionated, being the quiet girl can be tough. If you know me at all, you can attest to the fact that I'm pretty much always looking to avoid situations that require me to speak publicly. By nature, I am a reserved and introverted creature, two traits that I have been defined by for as long as I can remember. With these things in mind, I'm sure you can imagine the fear and anxiety that ultimately set in when the opportunity to share at our district's Professional Learning Summit presented itself. I'm someone whose natural inclination is to reject, resist, and retreat from any situation that might push me out of the safe and warm confines of my comfort zone. 

Despite it all, though, I found myself saying yes. 

Feeling like the least qualified person to be presenting to other teachers, I was overwhelmed with the seemingly endless directions that my session could go in. Having attended the Tennessee Educational Technology Conference back in November, I knew I wanted to focus in on technology, but...Blogging? Edu websites? Twitter? Something Google related? Digital review games? LITERALLY. SO. MANY. OPTIONS. Considering that I wanted to offer genuine and applicable insight about something that I am passionate about, I needed to take a quick step back to reflect. I asked myself questions like "What's been working for me?" and "What have I learned lately that has impacted my teaching practice?". Then it occurred to me. Over the past couple of months, I have really leaned into the education community on Twitter and have been amazed at the invaluable insight and genuine support that is out there. In a very short amount of time, I've learned so much and connected with educators near and far. Before I knew it, my session began to take shape.

I spent the next couple of weeks tirelessly prepping for and panicking about my first professional development presenting experience, pulling in what I hoped would be helpful information for Twitter newbies.

On the day of the Summit, I'm not sure my acting skills were enough to conceal my feelings of nervousness and doubt. I knew that I had taken my time to adequately prepare, but I struggled to silence that little voice in my head that was telling me I wasn't qualified to be doing something like this. I'd had encouragement every step of the way, from settling on a topic to planning my session to walking into the classroom where I was presenting, but I really struggled to get out of my own head. A few minutes before Session #1 was set to begin, I began readying my slides on my computer (and saying a silent prayer that I wouldn't pass out, or worse, have technical difficulties). The room began to fill with those who had signed up for my session. When I built up the courage to take a peek at who was there, I noticed that each filled chair was occupied by a member of my WMS family, who had so graciously chosen to spend their valuable time with me. I breathed a sigh of relief and was overcome by a feeling of reassurance that, maybe, I was going to be able to pull it off after all. The support I had that day made all the difference in the world and meant more to me than my colleagues will ever know. 




The next 45 minutes were a blur as I delivered a crash course in Professional Learning Networks and Twitter basics. We talked about the benefits of making connections in this giant world of education and even had our own mock Twitter chat. I got to talk about something that I've grown to be very passionate about with fellow educators who support and inspire me every day. Something else happened during that session, too... I survived. I did something that day that I never thought I'd do, something that took a lot more fear facing than some may realize. But it ended up being such a great experience, and one that I know enabled me to grow as an educator and as a person.

I learned a couple of things from my experience that day that I'd like to share. First, your voice is valuable. Nobody else sees the world through your eyes. You don't have to wait around until you reach a specific level of worthiness in order to share your perspective and experiences. You're free to choose what this means for you. For us teachers, maybe this looks like being more open to sharing your ideas aloud in PLC meetings, or maybe it means starting your own teacher blog or Twitter account. Regardless of how you choose to share, let your voice be heard! Finally, cliche as is may sound, do more of what scares you. I fully understand that this is easier said than done, but as someone who has recently survived an experience that really challenged me, I can promise you that it's so so worth it. There is beauty to be found and growth to be achieved in trying trying new things. 
I guess it really is true what they say about comfort zones. :)



I'd like to say an extra special thank you to each of my colleagues who supported me by coming to my session and to Dr. Mick Shuran for your encouragement along the way!

4 comments:

  1. You did an amazing job presenting and you are such an eloquent writer. You put into words exactly how I feel about presenting. Thank you and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were amazing!! I was so impressed with your willingness to present!! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! So proud of you Courtney Eaton! Looking forward to great things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are awesome, Courtney! I am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete